When using Amazon, your payment covers only what you use — that’s system resources and network resources based. There is no minimum fee. Also you can estimate your monthly bill using AWS Simple Monthly Calculator.
The prices for On-Demand Instances are based on the Region in which your instance is running. A more detailed comparison can be found here. Here we just the configurations of these instances.
- Micro Instance 613 MB of memory, up to 2 ECUs (for short periodic bursts), EBS storage only, 32-bit or 64-bit platform
- Small Instance (Default) 1.7 GB of memory, 1 EC2 Compute Unit (1 virtual core with 1 EC2 Compute Unit), 160 GB of local instance storage, 32-bit platform
- Large Instance 7.5 GB of memory, 4 EC2 Compute Units (2 virtual cores with 2 EC2 Compute Units each), 850 GB of local instance storage, 64-bit platform
- Extra Large Instance 15 GB of memory, 8 EC2 Compute Units (4 virtual cores with 2 EC2 Compute Units each), 1690 GB of local instance storage, 64-bit platform
- High-Memory Extra Large Instance 17.1 GB memory, 6.5 ECU (2 virtual cores with 3.25 EC2 Compute Units each), 420 GB of local instance storage, 64-bit platform
- High-Memory Double Extra Large Instance 34.2 GB of memory, 13 EC2 Compute Units (4 virtual cores with 3.25 EC2 Compute Units each), 850 GB of local instance storage, 64-bit platform
- High-CPU Medium Instance 1.7 GB of memory, 5 EC2 Compute Units (2 virtual cores with 2.5 EC2 Compute Units each), 350 GB of local instance storage, 32-bit platform
- High-CPU Extra Large Instance 7 GB of memory, 20 EC2 Compute Units (8 virtual cores with 2.5 EC2 Compute Units each), 1690 GB of local instance storage, 64-bit platform
If you are planing to run a instance for quite a long time like 1 year or 3 years, you can use the Reserved instance instead, and there’re some discount. Basically a 1-year Reserved instance is 35.3% cheaper than On-Demand instances, and a 3-year Reserved instance is 50.0% (exactly) cheaper than On-Demand instances.
Amazon Storage Fees
Amazon EBS Volumes
- $0.10 per GB-month of provisioned storage
- $0.10 per 1 million I/O requests
Amazon EBS Snapshots to Amazon S3
- $0.15 per GB-month of data stored
- $0.01 per 1,000 PUT requests (when saving a snapshot)
- $0.01 per 10,000 GET requests (when loading a snapshot)
Amazon Networking Transfer Fees
- Data Transfer In(US & EU Regions) $0.100 per GB
- Data Transfer Out. Different between regins, only the first 1GB is free of charge, click for details.
- There is no Data Transfer charge between Amazon EC2 and other Amazon Web Services within the same region (i.e. between Amazon EC2 US West and Amazon S3 in US West).
- All data transferred between instances in the same Availability Zone using private IP addresses – $0.00 per GB.
- All data transferred between instances in different Availability Zones in the same region – $0.01 per GB in/out.
- Non-attached Elastic IP address – $0.01 per complete hour. No cost for in-use ones.