The first release candidate of Debian 7.0 (a.k.a. Wheezy) was released yesterday. As always, it comes with lots of attractive designs. Here is a list of the major ones that may draw your attention.
- Kernel version for Debian Wheezy is 3.2.+
- Ext4 is now the default filesystem for new installations.
- Systemd comes as an option.
- LibreOffice replaces OpenOffice.org
- Ffmpeg is replaced by libav. Debian whey comes with full-featured libav libraries and front ends, including e.g. mplayer, mencoder, vlc and transcode.
- Virtualization management stack: OpenStack and XCP
- Tokens based authentication enhancement for OATH, and an OpenID implementation by SimpleID (can work with LDAP and dynalogin).
For programmers, the new environment is,
- Python 2.7 as the default Python 2.X interpreter (2.6 remains supported)
- Python 3.2 as the default Python 3.X interpreter
- Ruby – 1.9 as default version, 1.8 still available, but will be dropped in Wheezy+1